Storms can usually be unpredictable and may cause storm damage to your roofing system. As a household keeper, it is difficult to know what certain types of damages you might have on your residential roofing right after an extremely strong storm. It does not matter the kind of storm – winter storms, windstorms, electrical storms, hailstorms and rainstorms can all lead to unfortunate roofing damage.
The very best thing you might be able to do is understand the right and appropriate steps to take right after a storm to expedite roofing repairs and insurance claims. Doing the correct steps at a correct time may mean you get your own place back to a secure as well as safe condition as early as possible.
Remember A-B-C Steps When It Comes to Roof Damage Such as Storm Damage
Assess the roofing damage however, only when storm has already stopped and the roof is dried up.
Resist your urge to test your residential roof until after the extreme stormy condition has totally passed as well as the sky is crystal clear. Always bear in mind that icy or wet spots, or any debris on your roofing can cause you to fall, slip, and trip. Of course, even much more dangerous problems such as unstable roof surfaces as well as downed power lines are definitely important things that you should consider before climbing up on your own roofing.
Once you are very sure that the roofing area is safe, assess the storm damage as thoroughly as you should. As a matter of fact, it will actually help you address your needs with your insurance agent and professional and highly reputable roofing service providers immediately. Wait until daylight since it’s not possible to really examine what is going on without appropriate lighting. Therefore, you should:
- Use binoculars in order to get a closer view without the need to climb up your roof.
- Estimate the size of your area and gather specific information about the roofing damage you can get from your roofing and insurance companies.
- Make note of some exposed sections of your roofing, specifically looking for plywood, edges of missing tarpaper or shingles.
- Determine if there’s any missing roof shingles and thedegreeof all the damaged areas in order to provide them with a clearer outlook of what they’re likely to face during their expert assessments.
Begin temporary repairs to lessen property damages.
- Placegarbage cansand your buckets under leaks.
- Get rid of anyimportant stuffs ortreasured things away from leaks.
- Put trash or plasticsoveryour rugs, furniture and some other items which are in line of the leakage.
Call your roofing company and/or insurance company.
You will be able to know if the roof damage caused by the storm is severe enough that it will need the assistance of a professional roofing company or insurance company.
In addition to that, you should always remember that there are traveling roofing teams which come around areas that are damaged by storms to acquire clients. Also, make sure that you’re hiring legit roofing contractors.